The Elanco Hull seal was developed in the 1970s as the first flush sealing seacock, it was also designed to reduce turbulence and drag when sailing. They were fitted as standard on Hustler and UFO yachts and on several others, including early Oysters. Elanco Hull Seals are made from gunmetal (bronze), though an aluminium version was fitted to some high performance yachts Spare parts and complete valves are still available from Landamores.
Servicing Advice for owners
- Hull Seals should not be left open permanently.
- They should be operated regularly to ensure they remain free.
- Annually or when hauled out, loosen grub screw in cap, unscrew cap and remove valve from body.
- Check for signs of corrosion of the stainless shaft, particularly where it joins the plunger
- .Grease shaft and thread on plunger and re-assemble.
- If necessary, replace shaft (3/8″ diameter 316 stainless steel rod).